Tree Inspections & Consultations
Plant Health Solutions recommends an annual tree inspection for all of our customers at no cost. When an arborist from PHS visits a property, they are looking for the following issues when evaluating each tree:
- Soil / mulch level against trunk of tree (Is the root flare covered?)
- Girdling roots
- Soil compaction & drainage around base of tree
- Foliage - wilting, spotted, sparse, irregular size or shape, signs of feeding insects
- Trunk and branches - signs of weeping wounds or insect boring activity
- Mushrooms & fungus around the roots, on the main trunk, or on limbs that indicate decay
- Cracks, splits, cavities that could be a weak spot
- Dead branches, especially 2" and greater that could be hazardous if they fall
- Weak angle crotches and branching structure - possible splitting that needs support
- Density of the canopy - wind, snow & ice need to be able to pass through the canopy
- Nearby "targets" if the tree fails - houses, vehicle and pedestrian areas, utility wires, etc.
After proper analysis of each tree's health & structural condition, the Plant Health Solutions arborist can provide recommendations to improve or prolong it's life. Our ultimate goal is to preserve trees whenever possible, in the most ecologically responsible manner.
In situations where a tree or trees are hazardous and cannot be made safe, we would suggest removal. PHS can recommend an appropriate, qualified tree service to work with the customer to provide their tree pruning or removal needs.
I have been using the services of this firm since 2014. I own over two acres of property with both mature and newly planted trees. In the summer of 2014, I noticed that several of the young trees (pin oaks, maples, spruces, zelcovas, serviceberries, etc.) were exhibiting stress along with the mature trees on the property (maples and oaks). I met with three different tree service companies well known in the area and received three different diagnosis for some of the problems.
Peter Benz was recommended by one of the services as the expert in the area. Boy was that accurate. He is literally the "Tree Whisperer". He diagnosed all of the problems occurring on both my young ornamental and hard wood trees and the older mature trees on the property.All of the trees are looking healthier with better leaf color and fuller branches.
Besides Peter's vast knowledge, he and his staff are extremely professional and the firm is well run. Communication is excellent. I always receive timely written estimates of treatments discussed and advance notice of treatment dates for the property. In addition, I have randomly emailed Peter with questions, and sometimes photos, regarding a particular tree I was concerned about. He has always gotten back to me in less than 24 hours. I can't say this about any other service provider I use for the inside or outside of my home. I would not hesitate to recommend Plant Health Solutions.
-Janet R. (Blue Bell, Montgomery County)